Thursday, February 24, 2011

American Idol 10: Las Vegas Round + Some Top 24

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my faith in this show has been restored. Seriously. I'm very much impressed with this season so far. Everything seems faster, the judges are surprisingly eloquent (save for Randy, of course), the production is more grand and, yes, the talent is way better than Season 9. Who knew?

Plus, they are not messing around this year. This episode proves that American Idol is determined to get their superstar - from Peggy Blu (voice coach from hell) down to Jimmy Iovine (Interscope mogul), they are kind of intimidating!

No doubt, American Idol is BACK!

Anyway, here's my review on the people who got featured on today's episode:

DISCLAIMER: None as of this moment. Haha.

LAS VEGAS!

James Durbin and Stefano Langone
Stefano was good, although his stage presence was a bit awkward. But, that's just me nitpicking. He actually reminds me of David Hernandez, for some reason. As for James Durbin, I'm just annoyed with his singing. His last screech was way off pitch and it's growing old already. Frankly, I don't need another guy to scream and make my ears bleed again. It took me two years to recover. Enough!

Pia Toscano and Karen Rodriguez
These two really worked well together. I thought Pia has the potential to be a real good pop star and so is Karen. I somehow prefer Pia over Karen though. On a shallow note, Karen rocked that skirt-boots combo! Haha.

Naima Adedapo, Jacob Lusk and Haley Reinhart
Thank you Jimmy for giving Jacob that piece of advice - now, have a  chat with James Durbin. Haha. I found this performance kind of good, with exception to Haley's rough lower notes. I thought Naima was good and I liked how Jacob dialed it back a little. As for you Randy, by telling Jacob to not EVER hold back was just about the stupidest thing you've ever said. You're useless!

Rachel Zevita and company
I'm not going to lie, I freakin' love the quality of Rachel's voice. Plus, her phrasing was wonderful in that version of Eleanor Rigby. I'm a fan!

Lauren Turner and Jovanny Barreto
No comment on Jovanny. Now, Lauren proved to me that she's a stellar singer. She clearly has some serious vocal chops. My only problem with her is that she just doesn't stand out. Sad.

Tim Halperin and Julie Zorrilla
Beautiful!! Possibly the best performance in this Las Vegas Round. The control, the harmony, the piano, and even their stage presence were absolutely lovely. Tim reminds me of a more talented Tim Urban. Haha. Just saying.

Jerome Bell, Lakeisha Lewis and Tatynisa Wilson
This performance was obviously flawed with a number of pitch problems from everyone, but they were comfortable and it showed that they had fun with this number. That is all.

Kendra Chantelle and Paul McDonald
Wow. I love Kendra's voice. I think she has a fantastic, well toned, lower register. Paul is quirky and different, but I don't think that he's got a very good voice. Frankly, I don't think they will connect with America though.

Melinda Ademi and Thia Megia
This performance was a little too cutesy for my taste. Melinda sounded average and Thia, though good, just connect with me that well. Plus, I somehow don't like her tone - there's something unpleasant sounding to it. I don't know. 

Ashley Sullivan and Sophia Shorai
Sophia was ok, Ashley was a psycho. Enough said.

Lauren Alaina, Denise Jackson and Scott McCreery
Strange. Haha. It was a cute arrangement to the song, but it was also the weirdest choreography I've seen in quite a while. Haha. Denise sounded ok. Scotty showcased his upper register! Who knew? And I just don't understand why Lauren Alaina was being pimped so hard. This performance just didn't quite come together.

Casey Abrams and Chris Medina
This was dreadful. I like Casey and I think he did his best, but this just didn't do him any favor. Chris Medina is probably the most average singer to ever make it this far.

Robbie Rosen, Aaron Sanders and Jordan Dorsey
Robbie continued to impress me. He's always on pitch. Very nice. I was also impressed with Aaron, but Jordan's vocals were underwhelming. I actually prefer Aaron over Jordan.

GREEN MILE!
Side Note: I love the hanger as their Green Mile location! Lovely!

NAIMA ADEDAPO
She actually reminds me of Crystal Bowersox - powerful voice, rootsy, a bit hippie and far from being commercial. Is it a good thing? I'm not so sure. I liked his version of Put Your Records On though. IN

HOLLIE CAVANAUGH
I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't make the cut. I thought she stood out during the Hollywood week and her rendition of No One was rather lovely. Overall, I think she's a talented young lady. However, I think that they are right about her coming back in a couple of years and doing really well. By then, she'd be, hopefully, phenomenal. OUT

LAKEISHA LEWIS
She's obviously a fodder. OUT

ALEX RYAN
I NEVER heard him sing. Such a shame. OUT

CLINT JUN GAMBOA
I'm indifferent on his personality, but I love his voice. I'm not sure though if he can get out of the villain edit he got during Hollywood week. Personally, I don’t think he’s half as nasty as Jordan Dorsey who made folks audition for him! I mean, there’s confidence and then there’s arrogance. Go figure! IN

HALEY REINHART
I admit, I'm a bit ambivalent on Haley. I think she has a good voice, but I really don't understand the words when she sings. Plus, I don't think that Haley's vocals are going to appeal to America - most of the girls on the show that did well have really pure voices - Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Jordin Sparks. Crystal and Allison had grittier vocals, but they weren't marketed as pop stars. Let's see. IN

DEANDRE BRACKENSICK
To me, it seemed a little stupid to cut him this early. I mean, he has a very commercial look and sound. Yes, I haven't seen much of DeAndre, but he's pretty good - especially from that group performance. OUT

PAUL MCDONALD
I don't know. He has interesting tone, but he just doesn't do anything for me. His voice is too distinct to appeal to the masses, I think. Oh, and I really don’t like that he has that goat vibrato thing going at times. Seriously. It drove me crazy with Casey last year doing that. IN

ASHTHON JONES
She sure loves those diva songs. I think she's good, pretty and marketable. But for some odd reason, African American girls just doesn't do well on American Idol - except for Fantasia, of course. Syesha Mercado and Vonzell Solomon almost made to the Finale. I'm not sure of her chances. IN

CHRIS MEDINA
OH NO! NOW, YOU'RE BRINGING COLDPLAY INTO THIS? YOU'VE CROSSED THE LINE, SIR! Oh, and why did you have to bring up your wife again? Ugh. It felt inappropriate. Really. Good thing, he was cut because I don't think he's talented enough to be in the Top 24. He's bland, boring and sounds like a bleating sheep when he sings. Good riddance! OUT

10 comments:

Glecer said...

I'm also rooting for Deandre Brackensick. He should be part of the top24. With the quality of his voice, he outpowered his group during the Hollywood week.

Robbie said...

So sad for Deandre.

Also, I don't mind the Colton Dixon and John Wayne didn't make it. Bring me some Tim Halperin and Stefano Langone!!!!

These guys are really talented.

Anonymous said...

Lauren Turner doesn't stand out? She doesn't get SHOWN! We need to see more!!!

Anonymous said...

I like your reviews & how u take time to write em...very dedicated blogger you are!

hmmm you're very stereotypical too. just cause it happened for some people in the past season doesn't always mean that contestants this year will have the same fate- like ashthon jones, clearly you made a comparison to the great rnb divas but you wont actually know how good she can be right until the show progresses? complete package that girl is! beyonce 2.0 even! just observed. and you're kinda harsh about Chris Meddina:( when I saw his story I just crumbled..I know he's not as good but come on! he actually deserves a spot! plus, he's better than Jordan Dorsey & Jovanny Barreto. im serious why were they accepted in the top 24??

not a fan of Lauren Alaina either- if it had to come down to her and Thia, imma choose our girl Thia! do u have a fantasy top 12?

DAM THE NATION said...

Glecer: I was expecting him to actually make the cut. Oh well. Maybe next year?

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: I like Stefano. Tim seemed like a fodder to me until today. His performance of Something with Julie Zorrilla was really.. uhh.. something! Haha. But do you really like them because they're talented?

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous 1: Well, Lauren Turner was featured twice. But for some reason, I just don't remember her. She's forgettable - therefore, doesn't stand out.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous 2: Thanks for visiting the site and yes, I'd like to think that I'm a very dedicated blogger. :)

Now, as for Ashthon Jones, I'm not being stereotypical. I'm just stating a historical fact. True, her fate may not be like Syesha's or Vonzell's, but these two were stellar during their seasons and ended up third. Not too shabby but they were also a "complete package" type of artist. So, unless Ashthon does something phenomenal, I'm doubtful. I hope I'm wrong though.

About Chris Medina, I don't think I'm harsh. He's just too average for me. Minus his sob story, I don't think he'll even survive the first cut of Hollywood. I agree, I prefer him over Jordan (too entitled) and Jovanny (scary!) but I do think DeAndre, Jerome Bell, Aaron Sanders, Jimmie Allen and even John Wayne Schulz deserve to be in the Top 24 more than Chris Medina. Hehe.

Fantasy Top 12? None as of the moment, but I think I'll post something like that this coming Saturday or Sunday! :)

Robbie said...

Chris Medina just looks extra douchey. He should have called Danny Gokey for advice on how to milk a tragedy so he could've gone further.

My fantasy Top 12 from the 24 would be:

Brett Loewenstern, Jacob Lusk, Stefano Langone, Tim Halperin, Casey Abrams, another boy dun care.

Ashton Jones, Pia Toscano, Karen Rodriguez, Naima Adedapo, Thia Meguia, Julie Zorilla.

A lot of talented girls this season. No more white guys with guitars please.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Yes, a strong group of girls right there. I'm not even sure if I can whittle them down to 5! Ugh!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...