Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Voice 5: The Knockouts Part 1

And we're now at probably my least round of The Voice - The Knockouts! Personally, I don't understand why have them put battle against another one from their team AGAIN - they've just had the Battle Rounds only with the same song.

As I've said before - to make things fair - why not have ALL remaining contestants per team, let them all sing and choose the 5 best singers per team. That way, they'd be able to really separate the contenders from the cannon fodders. Instead, we're stuck with Nic Hawk just because his opponent was mediocre and we have to let go of Ashley Dubose because she was up against the outrageous Tessanne Chin. You see my point?

Sure, STEAL is incorporated in this round, but just like the Battle Rounds, I'm not sure if the coaches are going to use it wisely. Umm, they saved Briana Cuoco over Matt Cermanski or Timyra-Joi!

But as usual, I digress. Let's get on with the show!

TEAM CHRISTINA

Amber Nicole
Mama Knows Best
Holy crap! Amber tore this up. It was sassy, full of character, and while some of her higher notes sounded a bit shrill, I honestly didn't mind. This performance was a lot of fun, her vocals were solid, and she worked out the stage like a pro. 7.5

Josh Logan
Living For The City
He seems to be quite the chameleon no? To be honest, I didn't like him on this song that much as he sounded a bit strained in parts, but he made it work for his tone. He also took a couple of nice liberties with the melody, but that's about it. 7

VERDICT
Josh Logan

STEAL
Amber Nicole (Team Cee Lo)
--
TEAM BLAKE

Holly Henry
Creep
WRONG SONG CHOICE! She should've stayed with something more stripped down as band totally ate her alive. There were also a lot of pitch issues that I wasn't sure if she could really hear herself with that annoyingly loud band. Such a shame. 4

Nic Hawk
Genie In A Bottle
NO! Aside from his annoying tone, his voice was totally uneven that I heard a couple of flat and sharp notes. Yes, he sold the song with his delivery, but the vocals were just painful. Only saving grace: cool arrangement. 4

VERDICT
Nic Hawk
--
TEAM CEE LO

Kat Robichaud
You Oughta Know
Kat, to me, has a voice that you either love or hate, but personally, I'm just in love with her voice. You Oughta Know is such a wordy and angry song, and she pulled it off quite nicely. Plus, I LOVE her crazy intensity - deliciously creepy. 8

Monika Leigh
Hit The Road Jack
I enjoyed Monika since her blind auditions and I actually liked her version of the song. Her tone was front and center on the song with interesting phrasing choices. The last half was a little shouty though and highlighted her weakness as a vocalist. 6.5

VERDICT 
Kat Robichaud
--
TEAM ADAM

Ashley Dubose
Hey Soul Sister
Why this song? I was hoping for more urban or soulful, but Train? Really? I don't know. She's so much better than this song and her performance just went nowhere. Missed opportunity. 6

Tessanne Chin
Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
This woman is a powerhouse! Her vocal control was impeccable, her tone sounded gorgeous on the song, and she made a little tweaks to the melody for her not to sound karaoke. It needed to be a bit grittier to have enough character for a song like this, but I digress. This was still very good. 8

VERDICT
Tessanne Chin
--
TEAM BLAKE

Briana Cuoco
Don't Speak
More of Don't Sing! Haha. I honestly don't know why she's still in the competition. Her pitch was all over the place and her vocals were just flat out weak considering the song choice. To me, she should have NEVER even made it past the blind auditions. Sorry. 4

Shelbie Z
Last Name
Fierce! This was a pretty hard song to cover live - even Carrie Underwood had problems in the past - but Shelbie killed it! I wasn't even a fan, but this made me want to take a second look. Her vocals were solid, her pitch was spot on, and the way she worked that stage was awesome. No competition. 8

VERDICT
Shelbie Z
--
TEAM ADAM

Grey
Already Gone
Yes, Grey's version of Already Gone sounded perfectly fine with great pitch and vocal control, but something about her delivery screamed pageanty. I don't know. She looked stiff and her vocals sounded too calculated I couldn't enjoy much of her performance. 7

James Irwin
Breakeven
This wasn't as vocally clean as Grey's, but I just couldn't deny the rasp of his tone that worked perfectly with his song choice. It had enough character to be interesting. 7

VERDICT
Grey
--
TEAM CHRISTINA

Destinee Quinn
See You Again
Oh. My. God. What a pitchy mess! STOP! 2

Olivia Henken
You're No Good
Bland. Good thing she was up against Destinee because while this was vocally fine, her performance just wasn't interesting enough for me to put an effort and write something nice. Haha. 6

VERDICT
Olivia Henken
--
TEAM CEE LO

Cole Vosbury
Let Her Go
I'm doubly impressed with this song choice considering the fact that this episode was filmed back in August. Cole's version had more power compared to the original, but it still sounded terrific. He was connected emotionally with the song and his tone was just magnificent. Plus, his phrasing was lovely. 8

Jonny Gray
We Can Work It Out
There's something about his tone that's incredibly interesting. Not sure if the song choice was right, but he sort of sold his performance a bit. The arrangement was nice, and he's just very likable. But then again, this is the voice! Haha. 7


VERDICT
Jonny Gray

STEAL
Cole Vosbury (Team Blake)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...