Friday, May 20, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 3 Results Show

Haley Reinhart. 17 Performances. 4 Standing Ovations. 4 Bottom 3 Appearances. 2 Unjustly Criticized Numbers. Yes, Haley fought hard and she fought good - very good actually! You see, I hated Haley when she entered the Top 24 of this season. I remember that I ranked her dead last after the show revealed the Top 24. Then, when she (shockingly) made it into the Final 13, I even ranked her as the second one to go home. But something happened along the way that people who weren't initially a fan of our Lady Reinhart switched over to her - including me! She became the underdog that NO ONE saw coming. I've never seen a more dramatic growth arc in a contestant in American Idol history!! Plus, I don't remember any American Idol contestant gaining that much steam so late in the competition. She had a HUGE surge of momentum in the past couple of weeks that I honestly saw her as a legitimate successor of Lee DeWyze. Sadly, it all ended tonight. Somehow though, I like that she went home on a night with a stellar performance on the Led Zeppelin song, a classy moment with her Dad ripping on the guitar, her free and breezy style and unaffected confidence, and, of course, the judges not slamming her unfairly for once!

Now, if America likes Scotty McCreery so much and the (unfulfilled) promise of Lauren Alaina, let's punish them and give them an All-Country Snoozefest Finale! No drama, same style of singing, no moments and no risks taken. I'd also get to dole out a huge portion of the snarky "I told you so!". Haha. Truth be told, I wasn't on the anti-country Finale until last night. Even if they sang well, it was all safe and uninspired! How can they be so likable and yet put me to sleep all the time? Oh, and these two contestants who have not had ONE standout performance between the two of them are in the Finale? I. CAN'T. WAIT. :\

Recap after the jump!

Now, as for some observations and comments on the results show..
  • 95 million votes! The third highest on American Idol history! That includes online votes, so whatever.
  • Yay! Filler time! My favorite part of the show.. NOT!
  • I just love watching people watching a movie.. NOT!
  • Dakota Fanning’s little sister is gorgeous. Not trying to be creepy.
  • Haley's homecoming is getting a really good edit. 
  • Wait, doesn’t the third placer usually get shown first? The show likes to save the final two hometown visits for last. Am I right? Or maybe not. Oh no.
  • WTF is this? Really? Il Volo? HAHA.
  • These guys are like the Italian Opera version of the Jonas Brothers. 
  • Best WTF! Random musical moment. Blech!
  • Happy edit for Scotty McCreery's homecoming!
  • Nicole Scherzinger and 50 Cent. Next!
  • Somehow, I think Lauren’s homecoming edit is beautiful.
  • Gawd. Lauren’s mom is your run-of-the-mill stage mom! HAHA.
  • Haley's going home? Did this foolishness really happen?
  • It will be funny if the show get less votes next week. We’ll know if they don’t announce the numbers.

ELIMINATED
Haley Reinhart

TOP 2
Scotty McCreery
Lauren Alaina


DAM NATION's POLL RESULT

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

carlisle:

what the... haley eliminated? just can't accept the fact. :(

Anonymous said...

this will be a very boring finale. :(

Anonymous said...

Bored to death

iron said...

This sucks! No Haley in the finale? What a travesty!

Anonymous said...

Go Scotty!!!!

OSO-Deluxe-Edition said...

this sucks so bad!
how the hell did they get more votes!?
not watching that joke of a finale!

Nightingale3721 said...

I can't believe the only exciting performer left got eliminated. So sad! Especially after how well she did last night.

TickTock said...

LMAO. Ur so riiiiiiight. I'm not even going to watch the Finale. I want Idol to know what if they're going to rig the votes. At least rig it on someone who deserves it. But maybe i'll check in to watch Haley and past favorite contestants.

Anonymous said...

tell all the Haley's fan all over the world not to watch AI next week.

DAM THE NATION said...

Are we boycotting American Idol next week? Haha.

Dubya said...

Can I just say that the judges did a great job of making sure that Haley went home too early? First of all, Rhiannon is the single most forgettable song in history; there's absolutely nothing exciting about it. Don't get me wrong, I love the song and I loved her performance (it's my favorite FM song), but it's just not standout. On top of that, You Oughta Know is a great song that really captures everything that Haley's voice is about, but it isn't really something that can be promoted on Idol due to the sexually explicit nature of the song. Sure, they trimmed it up so you couldn't really tell, but that takes away from it, IMO.

They were so much harder on Haley, forcing her to improve week by week, but they constantly let Scotty and Lauren BS their ways through each round. I found neither Scotty's nor Lauren's performances anything standout or worthy of determining a new Idol.

It's just so obnoxious that the best contestants are voted off early and the one that gets the crown does absolutely nothing with it--a la Rueben Studdard, Taylor Hicks, Lee Dewyze, Fantasia...

DAM THE NATION said...

Dubya: I wouldn't include Fantasia on that list. She had a good number of stand out performances during her season.

Anyway, I thought the show gave her a curveball when they forced her to do incredibly hard song when the teens got songs that even Thia Megia could sing. I don't know. That's just unfair, I think.

destiny said...

one of these two will be THE american idol in one if not the best season ever? tsktsk... so disappointing

DAM THE NATION said...

Destiny: Very true.

iron said...

And when I thought I was starting to like you DAM, you start talking smack about Thia Megia again. Can't you just accept the fact that she's a good singer as well? We know, you hate her. I'm so over Idol anyway, so I don't really have to visit your blog anymore.

katuray said...

i stopped watching AI after casey's elimination.. then watched again when james got eliminated.. and now, well, i don't really care anymore after haley's elimination. i'll just probably read your post about COUNTRY Idol next week.

they shd probably do the finale on the Grand Ole Opry just to complete the whole country vibe!

DAM THE NATION said...

iron: Wait, did I miss something? What did I say bad about Thia Megia? I even said Thia Megia can sing better with the two country teens' songs from yesterday.

And no, I don't hate her. I actually like her more than the other guys. Heck, I was even disappointed she went home at 11th place. So, I don't know where you're getting the idea that I don't like Thia! Read my reviews and I never hated her. Thank you! :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Katuray: Haha. True! Grand Ole Opry sounds, umm, nice? HAHA. It's going to be tough next week. I don't know if I could survive 6 country songs in one hour!!

Jayvie said...

DAM! finale boycott! boycott! hahahaha! :D

kPg said...

I think I won't be watching the finale next week. I love Country music, but it will sure as hell be BORE FEST. I feel so bad Haley didn't make it... :(

Will said...

♫ Guess who's not watching the finaleeeeeee. ♪

♪ I aaaaam ♪

Francis said...

SO excited! I believe Lauren and Scotty will have bright futures in the country industry. So it's smart that they're both in the finale. May not be the best finale ever, but the winner this year will be successful for sure since country is a very nurturing industry. Which is exactly what American Idol needs right now.

DAM THE NATION said...

Francis: On paper, Scotty and Lauren should have good careers after Idol. But I read an article stating that the reception of Country Radio, in general, for the two teens may not be THAT positive.

The article interviewed a couple of country radio broadcasters, and they are actually not interested in playing any of the their music - especially Scotty McCreery.

One PD even mentioned "If Scotty McCreery gets signed, I’m gonna need to change my phone number."

Read the article HERE.

Clearly, Scotty is going to have to fight for respect at radio. This Idol post-season is going to be interesting to say the least.

Some Idol Fan said...

Hey DAM,

Will you be updating your top 100 list of idols soon? I'm curious to see on how Haley will fare to your current list - i'm thinking at least top 30 or maybe top 20. :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Some Idol FaN: I'm still thinking about it. I mean, if I do another Idol 100 this year, it would be repetitive because of the write ups. I may just change the ranking on the actual Idol 100 page though and not do the write up! HAHA.

benj said...

CONGRATS TO LAUREN ALAINA... im so happy for her.. but the other way around for haley.. i love if its an all girl finale.. hays.. anyways,.. thank you God.. you granted my prayers..

Anonymous said...

I hope that Lauren takes it home !!!
Many greets from Sweden !

Anonymous said...

officially the worst season ever!

Anonymous said...

As a fan, I'm totally upset that Haley didn't make it, but her exit was a showstopper. She's so talented, I miss her already, even though she's going to sing again for the finale anyway.

Since it's all country, I suppose it wouldn't hurt if she belts a few bluesy, country classics. There were better contestants than the two that stand now; but I believe Lauren has great potential. Scotty, I'm a little apprehensive. He just isn't exciting and is just... Scotty.

Iain said...

Can I just say, DAM, your blog is amazing, and I love your take on basically everything, and usually agree, so keep it up!!

Anyway, just to add to what everyone else is saying,I think a boycott of the finale is looking like a prime idea, if it weren't for the fact we'll get to see the crowd again, esp Haley, who I listen to (thanks to your studio version uploads) on a twenty-times a day basis, so that's something to look forward to.

I agree that "snoozefest" is how the finale will probably come off as being, but I cannot discredit either of the finalists. Yes, they are not anything outstanding and if it were up to me, the finale would be Pia and Haley, but they have there attractions. Lauren's studio recordings have mostly been absolutely stellar, especially "Flat on the Floor" and "I'm the Only one" and Scotty, despite repetitive, sleepy, annoying, unattractive, boring, plain... what was I saying? oh yeah,I did like him when he did songs like "Gone" and "For once in my life" but I cant bear listening to him more than once a day, especially if all the songs he sings are basically the same (see this weeks performances) I really hope their winning songs are both original songs, and not some drab country snoozefest. If only Haley had made it, we might have a good finale song...

Anyway, any chance you could upload the live versions of the other two songs Haley performed, I would be very grateful :)

iron said...

@DAM: Oh. Is that so? My bad. Haha.

Anonymous said...

lauren sucks
scotty sucks

it should have been haley VS james!!!!
very BORING FINALE in 10 years run of idol!!!

just saying!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...