Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Voice: Battle Round Part 1

Yes, I didn't enjoy last week's episode, but I thought the Battle gimmick this week was quite entertaining and it actually was even better than the Chair gimmick. Haha. Cool concept, I must say.

I don't know if many or any of these people would look as good in the American Idol format though, but again, that says something about the different formats as much as it does about the actual talent. The Idol format being so rigorous might make for more growth and better preparation for the real world but The Voice format means less filler.

Oh, and the coaches were making the Idol panel look like less than zero. Haha. No, I just can't stop comparing. Spare me! 

Tarralyn Ramsey VS Frenchie Davis
Single Ladies
Team Christina

Quiet frankly, neither hit it out of the ballpark for me, but Frenchie was the better of the two. I thought Tarralyn's choice with the notes were all over the place. She was incredibly off key when she belted out some notes and she was practically screaming most of the time. Frenchie, on the other hand, was more controlled. Powerful, but with finese. That said, Frenchie was a lot better when she was on Idol. Just saying.

VERDICT
Frenchie Davis

Patrick Thomas VS Tyler Robinson
Burning Love
Team Blake

NO!! Why the heck did you pair them both, Blake? I was rooting for both of them!! Ugh. Anyway, this duet was so much better than the first one as I thought both guys were pretty good. Tyler actually had more conviction and soul in that and he slightly outsang Patrick, but Patrick had more appeal on stage - at least to me. I don't know it could've gone either way. Tough call.

VERDICT
Patrick Thomas

Casey Weston VS Tim Mahoney
Leather and Lace
Team Adam

Let me start by saying that Adam Levine seemed like a good mentor from the edit. Good job! I wasn't so sure what to think about the duet per se, but I thought Casey did better than Tim. Casey has more star potential, and although her vibrato was a little goaty for my taste, I like that she has more layers and depth to her voice. Tim, meanwhile, was decent. I'm not a fan of her phrasing though.

VERDICT
Casey Weston

Niki Dawson VS Vicci Martinez
Perfect
Team Cee Lo

Is there any way Niki Dawson wasn’t a fodder? I mean, they didn’t even show her full audition last week. Oh, and let me get this out first: Cee Lo Green just cracked me up. What was he wearing? A giant pink mu mu? Haha. With that out of the way, I must say that this was undeniably the BEST duet in this episode. I like the deeper tone of Vicci on the verses, but she seemed a bit behind the beat to my ears. Niki, however, got a better phrasing and the way she worked that chorus was unbelievable! Ugh. Again, why pair this two together? Sad.

VERDICT
Vicci Martinez

2 comments:

Carla said...

Tyler was robbed. He was a lot better than the dime-a-dozen country guy, but being on Blake's team hurt him a lot.

Rodrigo said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...