Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Voice: Battle Round Part 2

I admit, this wasn't as entertaining as last week, but it's still kind of enjoyable. I didn't exactly agree with some of the judges' decisions, but it is what it is.

One thing I noticed: it’s now getting obvious who the coaches/judges were going to pick before these guys even open their mouths for the battle - maybe except for Blake’s team just because he was less predictable. Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera, on the other hand, were the crazy ones who paired great singers together - especially Cee Lo, what the heck was he doing? Maybe for drama?

Tje Austin VS Nakia
Closer
Team Cee Lo

At first, I thought Cee Lo was just nuts to put these two guys together as both deserved to go through. Very evenly matched. However, when the real battle began, I somehow preferred Tje over Nakia. I mean, Nakia just attacked that song with no finesse or nuance whatsoever. He growled like there's no tomorrow. Plus, the choices he made with the melody - especially during the verse - somehow didn't work for me. Tje, on the other hand, had a silkier tone to his voice that fits the song perfectly. Sure, he's tone is awfully generic, but still..

VERDICT
Nakia

Jared Blake VS Elenowen
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Team Blake

What's wrong with you Blake? If you paired Elenowen with Tyler Robinson from last week, then we still have Tyler for the next round!!! Sigh. This duet (or trio) just didn't work. First, two voices against one doesn't seem fair to begin with. Second, why in the world did Blake pick a song that none of them were suited for? I mean, it appeared to me that they were going to rock it out, which was as far removed from Marvin Gaye's soul as they could get. Third, Elenowen obviously doesn't have strong enough voices or any kind of range to pull it off and Jared Blake wasn't exactly a soul singer! Haha. Yes, I'm not a fan of Jared (I hated the freshly pressed bandana) but I kind of hated the duo (the girl had major pitch problems). So, by default, I give it to him. Haha.

VERDICT
Jared Blake

Angela Wolff VS Javier Colon
Stand By Me
Team Adam

Poor Angela, she was almost the last one in and she does not have a chance to advance with Javier by her side. Good thing, she knew the situation and she was just happy to be up there with the "front runner". Haha. But seriously, Javier was just incredibly good. LOVE the tone and his vocal runs were fantastic. It's such a shame because Angel's not a bad singer AT ALL. Sigh.

VERDICT
Javier Colon

Beverly McClellan VS Justin Grennan
Baba O'Riley
Team Christina

Frankly, I enjoyed Justin's blind audition more than Beverly, but there's NO WAY he could beat Beverly with a song that fits her voice and style like a glove. I thought Christina's song choice wasn't fair for Justin and although he had ZERO stage presence, I was still rooting for him. I mean, he has a great sound to his voice and he sounded more pleasant on the song. Beverly was just too shouty for my liking.

VERDICT
Beverly McClellan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...