Saturday, May 14, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 4

Randy: "I think it's a tie between James, Scotty and Lauren."
Haley: "Oh thanks, that was really nice of you!"
Snap!

Today, American Idol crossed a line with me. Somehow, the whole thing just became too heavy handed. The judges - or producers, for that matter - were obviously pimping for their preferred Top 3 and bussing Haley Reinhart to no end!

I'd say, DOUBLE STANDARDS!! James Durbin can scream and be off key, but Haley can't? Haley can't be boring, but Scotty McCreery can? Seriously. Can you imagine what it is like for Haley to come out every week and be criticized no matter how good she is. The insincerity in Jennifer Lopez´ voice and Randy Jackson is a man with a mission. I'm hoping that the public sees through this ploy. It is plain and simple bias! Sigh.

Oh, and what's with the performance order change? Right! To make Haley Reinhart in DEAD MIDDLE so people would actually forget about her. Nicely played, American Idol! Good job!

DISCLAIMER: I am no expert, but this is my opinion - to each his own - and yours will be in the comments below! Haha.

ROUND 1: Song that Inspire them

04. Scotty McCreery
Where Were You
.. and his back to his old vocal dynamics! I thought his performance was boring, vocally underwhelming and virtually identical to 95% of his other performances. Heck, he actually started the song sounding exactly like his performance of The River. Haha. The only thing that worked in his favor was the fact that he went with a patriotic song that mentioned God, so I guess he knew exactly how to play the Idol game! 6/10

03. James Durbin
Don't Stop Believing
Tell me, what's so special about James' version of Don't Stop Believing? I'm sorry, but this was pure karaoke. No, he didn't sound bad - though he did miss a couple of notes - but this was just a straight up cover. Nothing special. I'll even go there and say that Glee's version was better. I know, this was a hard song to sing considering the range of it, but I expected him to do something different with the song. Oh, and Randy, try to calm the heck down! Why do you keep on shouting? Saying something once is enough, you fool! 7/10

02. Earth Song
Haley Reinhart
Let me say something first about her performance before I rant with expletives about the judges - except for shockingly, Steven Tyler. Haha.I thought it was a brave song choice for Haley and I give her high marks for that. I admit, her vocals became a bit shouty at the end, but I couldn't fault her verses just because her voice was dripping with sadness. Yes, she was emotionally connected with the song. Now, let me hit the capslock for the next part of this review. THE JUDGES WERE BEYOND INFURIATING! WHY DO THEY HATE HER SO MUCH? NO, JAMES DIDN'T EXACTLY "SET THE BAR"! HE WAS GOOD, BUT WAS HE THAT GREAT? AND WHERE'S THE SORT OF "EMOTIONALLY PERFECT" THING YOU WERE SAYING LAST WEEK? THAT DOESN'T APPLY TO HALEY NOW? AS FOR YOU RANDY, YOU CALLED HALEY OUT FOR "SCREAMING", BUT YOU PRACTICALLY WET YOURSELF WHEN HAMES SCREAMS OFF KEY EVERY WEEK? CAN'T EVEN. I HAVE NEVER  SEEN A BUS ACCIDENT SO HORRIBLE. I have to say, I've been rooting for Haley more by her sheer moxie. Yes, contestants should not talk back to the judges, but the way they talked to her was kind of over the top. No, it wasn't completely unwarranted, but it was still over the line. I laughed when Haley told Randy, "Do you have to say it again?" Haha. Snap! That is all! 7.5/10

01. Lauren Alaina
Anyway
One of her better performances. Quite frankly, there were a couple of notes early on that were just a touch flat, but when she really hit the power, her vocals soared. I was glad that somehow she didn't hold back on that note. That said, I didn't like the fact that she broke up the last big note and didn't push for it further. It would've been phenomenal, I think. I mean, if Kristy Lee Cook pulled that note pretty nicely, I don't see why Lauren can't. Oh, and didn't you judges say the exact same thing about "being back" to Lauren every week? She's been BACK IN IT TO WIN IT like 4 times now. Haha. Can't. Even. 8.5/10


Sidenote: Randy just hit another jab at Haley Reinhart! Was that really necessary? It was ridiculous!


ROUND 2: Songbook of Lieber and Stoller

04. Scotty McCreery
Young Blood
The Lady GaGa and Scotty McCreery interaction was awkwardly hilarious! Haha. Ok. This performance, to me, was painfully awkward, lazy and a pure corn covered in smirky cheese, but somehow I just couldn't look away. Maybe because it was partly amusing? That little hip gyration cracked me up a bit and the arm was, umm, strange. Haha. Seriously though, this type of performance isn't going to cut it - especially for a Top 4 week. But then again, Danny Gokey pulled out Dream On this week two years ago. So, whatever. 6/10

03. Lauren Alaina
Trouble
On paper, this SHOULD be a perfect song choice for her - not just because Carrie Underwood performed this as well. Unfortunately, this was a little underwhelming. I mean, you need to be uber confident and sassy to sell this song. And while, she exuded a surprising amount of sass at the beginning, it somehow died down and the whole performance went downhill. Her vocals became all breathy - especially when she started running around the stage. Sigh. How I wish she did the Elliott Yamin arrangement instead of this.. One more thing: Lauren, if you don't want to sing the lyric "I'm Evil", then you should've picked another song!! Gawd. 7/10

02. James Durbin
Love Potion No. 9
Why did I have this overwhelming fear that they changed the order because James was getting prosthetic horns applied to his face? Haha. It's silly, I know. To me, this performance was such a showboat with nothing behind it. It was more style than substance. Yes, his vocals were relatively intact compared to last week, but somehow this - personally!! - didn't excite me one bit. Plus, that long pause before the last note dragged like forever. He held it as long as he possibly could milk the audience - and the judges - for all it's worth. 7.5/10

01. Haley Reinhart
I (Who Have Nothing)
This performance just proved the fact that out of the remaining contestants, she's the only person capable of actually having a "moment" on this show every single week! Thank you Haley for saving this season for me. I loved the look she had in her eyes. If only eyes could kill, Randy is dead now! HAHA. I admit, it was a little theatrical, but who am I to complain. This was incredible! So. Much. Emotion. Nevermind Jordin Sparks' equally brilliant version. Haley brought another side to it. Talk about a comeback! Wait, but didn't the judges do the same thing last week? They criticized her on her first performance for the "song choice" - not on her actual singing - and then they gave her a standing ovation for the second one. Oh judges, you confuse the hell out of me. You're all so bipolar! 9/10

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

All season two of the judges gave only Haley criticism even when other contestants were not perfect. Last week Haley showed everyone she could soar above their comments. This week I felt I was watching abuse. I know that AI wisdom is to never argue with the judges but I am proud of Haley for standing up for herself.

AI SUCKS! said...

Tonight made me so mad! Yes, Haley got a little shouty in her first song but to compare her performance to James, who they said set the bar??? His performance and the arrangement of that song was so flat! ANd the vocal was just adequate. So they say nothing about him and them throw Haley to the wolves??? I am so glad she spoke out!

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased with her performance.

Some Idol Fan said...

Ughh, judges were disgusting. I admit the first song Haley sang wasn't as great as her previous performances but it's not as bad as Randy was saying. I admire Haley for taking big risks,it shows how versatile she is. I felt really bad for her when the judges were tearing her down apart.

I'm not sure now if she'll make it another week despite her amazing second performance. I still think Scotty is a shoo-in to the finale so that leaves James and Lauren with Haley as the possible bootee. Lauren might have a big boost from fans after her trip to the bottom 2 last week. At the same time, country fans must split their votes between Scotty and Lauren at some point in the competition also (Scotty will definitely prevail). I don't know.. this is tough...

OSO-Deluxe-Edition said...

she really saved the season for me too, I mean she's amazing in every aspect and she deserves to win...
HALEY FTW!

Anonymous said...

Bloody hell!! I'm from the uk and always read your blog before i actually watch the show, so it kills me to hear that Haley is being slammed by the judges. I think my opinion of the judges has taken such a downward turn, I have begun to truly loathe Randy's over the top "is in it to win it"'s toward all the contestants, I mean come on, Scotty has gotten progressively more boring since the competition started,James has headed in the wrong direction for what I think he is capable of, if he does make it to the final, the only thing that will redeem him for me will be if Steven Tyler does the duet with him that he promised. As for Lauren? the most infuriatingly underwhelming contestant this season. She only really got this far on hype, but she is noway near Carrie Underwood. Hale is the only one I actually think deserves to have got this far, so thank you so much for her studio recordings! The final four should have been: Haley, Pia, Paul and Casey. (I know you didn't like Paul, but his pre-idol recordings really made him for me)What happened to J-Lo? She has just become so fickle, and I think the only reason she is so harsh on Haley and not Lauren is because Haley is the real threat to her vocally, and as for Scotty and James, she just likes to be wooed by them. Steven is the only one who I think makes sense, so it frustrates me so much that he doesn't talk for very long. Gah! Rant over.

Anonymous said...

I havent seen it yet, as we are a day behind, but I am already annoyed, Haley is by far the most interesting, and just love what she does with her voice. She has got better each week. Haley to win!
And whats going on with the judges this season,are they not allowed to give poor reviews?

kPg said...

You're right, there's some bias there. That's why I'm not expecting Haley to win this thing anymore. Sigh...

Carlos Laron said...

i feel you on Haley man! for a moment I hated the 2 judges there! I hope one of the guys go home wouldnt care who it is but just for shock factor, and Haley should win already!

iron said...

I'm afraid that this might just be the last week for our girl Haley. It could be a good thing for her though, a break from all of that Randy (AI) hate!

Lauren Alaina said...

Randy an ass! He try so hard to get rid off of Haley since day 1... Stay strong, Haley. We always supports you all the way to the top! You are the best contestant on idol this season! Period!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad there are other people out there who agree that Haley's first performance wasn't perfect or even close to being her best, but that she did not deserve to be the only one criticized. Remember a few weeks ago when Jimmy Iovine said the most intelligent thing all season: when she's less than magical they criticize her (or whatever the exact wording was). It's so true Haley has had MANY MANY MANY magical moments. I don't think James has ever actually been told he's had the best performance all season, but if I'm counting correctly Haley has been told that three times. SO why do they constantly say Haley can't handle it? UGH I am SO GLAD she talked back to the judges. E! Online said that they talked with ehr after the show and she was still mad and she said everyone else gets told how great they are and they really let me have it every week, they don't feel sorry for me, never have, never will. It also said that LAUREN of all people was upset. She said "Haley has the best voice on this show and she gets the most criticism. I mean, I deserve more criticism than she does. I'm Haley's No. 1 fan. I listen to her iTunes music over and over and over."

That comment alone made me want to vote for Lauren if Haley gets voted off.

Anonymous said...

Yup. Couldn't agree more. I mean, I'm like everybody else, the reason that I'm still watching this AI because there's Haley. Haley was so unique with her voice character. She can scream so good (yes, she can), and she just so perfect (after Pia of course). But, you know what, I didn't mind if she got criticized by the judges, coz' it can make her stronger than the other contestant. And that's wha gonna bring her to hold a tittle as American Idol (but actually I want Pia to be that person, but, what we can do, all of the entire american was stupidly deaf, and make her out).

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...