Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Glee Season 2: Funeral Episode Review

Funeral
Season 2, Episode 21

I think I'm in the minority here, but I honestly thought the episode fell flat. I don't know. I was bored and it felt like it dragged on forever.

Somehow, there's a major contrast between this episode and Grilled Cheesus, which sort of dealt with death of a loved one. Not sure where the differences lie, but I know that Kurt's I Want To Hold Your Hand had me bawling like there's no tomorrow, while this time I just stared at the screen. Maybe it's just me?

THE GOOD:

- Again, Jesse St. James was hysterical. I know. I know. They're trying to paint Jesse as a horrible person in this episode, but he did that snarky b*tch act better than Santana. Haha. His description of how Vocal Adrenaline prepare for Nationals had me laughing. I think he's like a male version of Rachel, but tenfold. Haha.

- I have to give it to the writers on how they handled death as a storyline for this episode. Sue's speech during the funeral was lovely. It was heartfelt and it allowed Sue to grow a bit or at least focus on bigger targets than the the usual, Glee club.

- I actually enjoyed how the auditions reflection back on their original auditions. I mean, everyone showed a great deal amount of growth - especially Santana.

- Santana and Rachel interactions were always amusing, at least to me.

- I don't know if it's a good thing, but I had an epihany!! Will-Terri-Emma is just like an older version of Finn-Quinn-Rachel! HAHA.

THE BAD:

- Can't stand Finn. He has no soul whatsoever, and the break up was possibly the worst timing EVER! How condescending was his "Thanks for not quitting glee club, even though I broke your heart, and you're depressed!" to Quinn. That's pathetic!

- I admit, parts of this episode felt like it was trying way too hard to make me - or the audience, in general - cry. Sadly, that didn't happen.

- Oh, and I also felt like that was a lame way for Terri to leave the show. Seriously? What was the point of all this Honey Badger nonsense? Will and Terri's two year long crazy hatred for each other was wrapped up in a neat 30 seconds, and suddenly Emma was worried if Terri was okay? WHAT.

- Why must women always be portrayed as weak on this show? Quinn, Rachel, Terri and Emma spent this episode pining for those two morons. I don't understand it!

- Yes, Will reading Sue's speech at the funeral! Lost the emotion totally.

- Sue had a couple of good lines but I couldn't laugh at them because it felt wrong in the context. Oh well.

THE MUSIC:

BACK TO BLACK was decent. Interestingly, I enjoyed the recording, but the performance I thought made it rather bland. I don't know. It was tame and I know it could have been a lot better. That said, I thought Santana outperformed Kurt's..

SOME PEOPLE. It was over the top, and his rendition - which I thought paled in comparison to his version of Rose's Turn - did not live up to the standards set by the Broadway legends. I know, he's not on that caliber yet, but still..

TRY A LITTLE TENDERNESS was positively brilliant. Good thing, they cut the first half of the actual recording short because that was quite boring and the last half - which she performed - was actually the best part of the song. The way she riff and belt those notes were crazy!

MY MAN was intense. She obviously outperformed Santana who outperformed Kurt. As for Mercedes, it's a tough call. But, I just loved the honesty when she performed this song. Oh, and the vocals were impeccable.

PURE IMAGINATION. Possibly my favorite performance of this episode. I thought the harmonies were lovely and it's just refreshing to see them sing a slow song as a group and not jumping around like crazy - for a change!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will-Terri-Emma is just like an older version of Finn-Quinn-Rachel; I totally agree. Thank you thank you for saying you can't stand Fin I sooooooo dislike him. I am not Fin & Rachel shipper I rather see Puck & Rachel they seem to balance each other. I also like Santana and Rachel interaction which I hope would lead to friendship. Mercedes is always given same type of song to belt out, sorry but Rachel & Santana stole the show for me.

Robbie said...

Finn should just go away.

July said...

Finn really gets on my nerves, I would like to smack him so bad...

But I disagree with you about this episode, I thought it was brilliant. I could totally feel Sue's pain, because Jane Lynch's such a great actress.

And the speech part reminded me when I was reading my speech at my grandpa's funeral and I broke down... my cousin approached to hug me, but I didn't step down, I continued reading until I finished, so yes, I would have liked for Sue to read it all.

DAM THE NATION said...

Guys, I'm loving the Finn hate over here! Haha.

July: I thought Sue was brilliant too, but I don't think her brilliance carried the episode to the level I expected it to be - especially since it's an emotional episode. But that's just me. :)

katuray said...

The Sue Sylvester that we all learned to love (and hate) in season 1 is back! She has this unique way of endearing the audience while throwing insults other people.

I absolutely loved the scene in Sue's office where she and Becky shared hugs.

I believe Jane Lynch is on her way to winning those acting awards again this year. ;)

Will said...

I hope that the writers are making Finn annoying on purpose, coz if not, then they have some major adjustments to do.

This episode was boring. Period.

Gelo said...

Jumping on the Finn hate bandwagon as well. Haha. He is the most irritating person in the entire cast and I used to think Kurt was had that role covered.

And I also think the episode was a little bit boring. I didn't feel the emotion, the sadness, nothing.

But what got me interested is what Quinn's plan is in NYC.

Anonymous said...

I too am jumping into the Finn hate bandwagon. I do no like the guy honestly I turn the channel or mute when he is on screen.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you, man I LOVE Jesse St. James, and sometimes I hate that the writers make him a bad person, but, You GOTTA love Jesse, his jokes and lines, Brilliant. When he draw the cat, I laugh so hard. And I jump to the Finn hate bandwagon too, he is so annoying! And It's obvious that at the end, he is gonna be the hero, and everybody is gonna love him and he and Rachel will be happy forever... But I love St. Berry and I'm gonna enjoy it, even when I know,it's gonna end next week :) (sorry if I wrote something wrong, I speak spanish xD)

Bryon said...

“Jean always stood up for you when I told her how evil your hair was.” What a funny comment at an inappropriate time. I was overwhelmed with the time and effort the kids put into her funeral. The orchestra playing the music from the original “Willy Wonka” movie was sweet. This was the best song I’ve ever heard for Kurt’s voice. Honestly I’m getting tired of my kids deleting my timers but I can always catch my missed episode on dishonline.com http://bit.ly/dJzWgo which saves my kid’s butts. I just log into my employee account and set my timer again.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...