Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Glee Music 2: New York (Finale Episode)

Just to avoid confusion, this set of songs are for next week's Finale episode entitled New York. I posted a couple of days ago about the music that will be featured on this week's Funeral episode. So, there's that.

Now, since this is the last episode of this season - meaning, Nationals! - I was really expecting for some good songs to be featured. I can't say I'm disappointed, but somehow I knew it could've been better. But, whatever. Enjoy!

As Long As You're There
WOW! Sunshine Corazon is back! Seriously? After listening to this, I thought to myself, "Vocal Adrenaline will win this!" I mean, this song is so much better than both of the New Directions' original songs. Sunshine sounds impeccable, the arrangement is soaring, the orchestration is stunning and I love the lyrics. To me, this is a competing ballad worthy of a Nationals win. Just saying. 9/10
DOWNLOAD

Bella Notte
Color me surprised, but I still can't believe Glee covered one of Disney songs! Haha. I appreciate how beautiful and peaceful Bella Notte is, but I didn't really care much about it. Oh, and is it just me or do Sam/Puck sound like they are really straining their voices? 6/10

Light Up The World
Ok. Just like Loser Like Me, it's grown on me. It's a happy song! However, I still don't think it's Nationals material. I mean, this song just doesn't have that epic feel to it. What made their competition songs like Don't Rain on My Parade and You Can't Always Get What You Want so great was the fact that they were amazing versions of real songs a real show choir could sing. A show choir is not going to sing an overproduced, recorded pop song heavy on production effects for a competition. To be fair though, if I can get past the completely unnecessary auto-tune, it's really catchy. Not for Nationals though. 7/10

Pretending
For the record, I appreciate this song on a story level for Finn and Rachel. And the song, itself, is lovely. But for Nationals, it's lacking that certain, again, epic feel! I don't know. All of a sudden, I don't want them to do these cover songs. Show choir is just as about the performance as it is about the vocals. Choir focuses just on the vocals. But show choir, on the other hand, is about the movement, the choreography, the story. It's a spectacle! The same reason why Bohemian Rhapsody took the cake last year for Vocal Adrenaline. I like it. I'll watch on the show and grin like an idiot. Sadly, not good enough to win Nationals. 8/10

For Good
Chills. This is quite surprising as I actually like Kurt on this song when I thought I'd hate him. I love both Rachel and Kurt individually on this, but when they start singing together it was magical. Their harmonies are amazing! I don't understand why they insist on doing the original songs for competitions when they could be doing THIS. They needed to act like Kurt's voice was important for Nationals, and now they're not using him? 9/10

I Love New York / New York, New York
Everyone sounds great on this song and even though I only know the New York, New York part, I found the song to be rather enjoyable. Santana's voice is just pure love. Not the best mash-up EVER on the show, but I like it. I have a funny feeling that the context will make this awesome. 7/10

Yeah!
Interesting. Vocal Adrenaline and New Directions competition: The Girls Academy! I started smiling the minute the girls started going "bee bee bee bip". Haha. This is actually quite catchy and I like the breakdown at the end. Plus, the back up voices are pretty good and the rapping is quite cool. Santana should go to this school! HAHA. 7/10
DOWNLOAD

My Cup
This sounds so beachy! HAHA. Obviously, this song is in the veins of Trouty Mouth and My Headband. I must say though, this might be the first time that we're actually hearing Brittany's voice without all the studio editing that they've added to her past songs. I didn't really think she could sing before hearing this, but she has a nice pleasant voice when it's all pure. Very nice. 7/10
DOWNLOAD

(all 8 songs)

20 comments:

Will said...

So VA will win? Haha.

I'm exicted for "For Good." Who's going to sing it?

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: Well, that's purely based on the songs they recorded. But maybe the writers will spin something to these performance making ND the winner. But if ND wins, I'll just laugh. HAHA

Peejay said...

wow! for good from wicked?! who will sing it?? i am also excited for this! hopefully they give justice to that super beautiful song!

DAM THE NATION said...

Peejay: For Good will be performed by Rachel and Kurt! :)

Will said...

Perfect song for Rachel and Kurt, since they started the whole wicked thingie with Defying Gravity.

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: That's true. I admit though, I'm not familiar with this song. Hehe. :P

Peejay said...

Its one of the best song from wicked! it really has a good message :)

Anonymous said...

im exhilerated... i wanna hear FOR GOOD now! :)

Will said...

Peejay and Anonymous: Ditto!

Maya Lintu said...

Hey DAM, are those iTunes versions? Thanks :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Maya: Not yet. iTunes versions are released on a Monday before the actual episode. :) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

carlisle: for good... the best song ever. LOL.

Eric said...

a ha!

Inigo said...

DAM, what are HQ versions? High quality seems the logical answer but it that something different from iTunes versions?

DAM THE NATION said...

Inigo: Yes, HQ is high quality. It's almost the same quality as the iTunes version. Personally, I can't tell the difference except for the format. But I will upload the iTunes versions once I have them already. :)

Inigo said...

Ah, thank you. I probably couldn't tell the difference either but for the sake of consistency, I'll hang on for the iTunes ones.

I'll miss this silly show! Do you have any summer plans? For example, will you cover "The Glee Project"? Or have weekly top tens, like Glee songs that make you want to get a bunk, Glee songs that make you want to strangle your cat or Glee songs that should never have been done?

DAM THE NATION said...

Inigo: I love myself some lists. I published a couple of "Glists" last year when Season 1 ended. I'm not sure if I'll do it again, although I plan to put up the compulsory, BEST PERFORMANCES! Possibly next Tuesday. :)

Inigo said...

Well, that should definitely encourage some debate.

What about "The Glee Project"? Do you have any interest in it? I read a bit about some of the contestants and ended up enjoying some Celtic Thunder from the Irish lad.

DAM THE NATION said...

Inigo: Well, lists are extremely biased, but it is what it is. Hehe.

As for the "Glee Project", I'm not sure. I don't know where I can watch the episodes. The only streaming I have are for ABC, FOX, NBC and CW.

Inigo said...

Hopefully, it will turn up somewhere. I'm not a fan of singing contests (*cringes at the possibility of offending you and whimpers "sorry") but I'm interested to see the extent to which they cover things like acting and dancing.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...